Friday 15 January 2016

Happy with Nothing New

I know first hand how my 'wants' are fleeting, and if succumbed to dish out money to buy whatever that is, a product or service, usually more so with the former, I end up regretting the purchase as soon as my adrenaline rush is over, hating myself for spending ruthlessly, not happy with the merchandise I thought I wanted (or needed) only a while ago. As time passes, I came to realise that something new doesn't make me happy, let alone euphoric. The world as we are inhabiting in does allow conveniency to rule our lives, but I have learned to be satisfied with what I have, and life seems to be so much more relaxed as a result.




I only got myself the first tablet in 2014, when I need the features to be part of my communication mode while I traveled. New models are releasing every other month and I have no desire to update my gadget without feeling like I have fallen behind the entire world. I won't be queuing up for the latest smartphone unless my tablet die on me. Think about it, would you be changing a new car every other year just because the new model is out when your existing one is perfectly working, getting you to your destination safe and sound? It won't make you a new / better person with the newest of the new. 


I didn't bother renewing my driving licence because deep down I know that I won't be buying a car. There are so many different ways of commuting without taking the wheels. I love the idea of car-pooling or sharing a ride with others who have the same destination in mind. The car is just a means to achieving a goal and possessing the product (i.e. a car in this case) doesn't justify it. Are you aware of the co-work space available for hire everywhere these days? Who needs an office when all you really need is a desk space to get your job done, and meeting other co-workers could be just an added bonus? 


Quality of life is much much more important than quantity of stuff, knowing that we don't get to take anything with us when our time is up. Being a vintage addict, I appreciate the charm of used items and the beauty of them which are simply deprived of in brand new items which you get from shops produced en masse. I no longer buy things for the sake of shopping, and I have given some of my favourite garments a new lease of life by taking them to a seamstress. 


I strongly suggest you take some time observing the clever advertising media, have your eyes and ears open to the concept of collaborative consumption, check out the options of sharing, borrowing, bartering and exchanging (swapping) instead of buying everything new. You get to keep your hard earn cash and be part of creating sustainability in one go too!




No comments:

Post a Comment