Saturday 23 January 2016

The Diderot Effect

Are you aware of the phenomenon that we are buying more stuff than we need? I was spring cleaning my closet the other day and got myself into a bout of depression when I realized the many new garments I have accumulated over the past month or so and never got a chance to see the light of the day as I had nowhere in particular to go to while my uneventful life revolves around staying at home 90% of the time. I had every intention of keeping my look and style fresh and presentable as an Image Consultant and hoping that I would be impressive when / if I had the chance (in the immediate future) to attend networking events or to meet people (potential clients) just in case. I have rationalized my new purchases as 'bridging goods' that connect my current life to my hoped-for futures. I was chasing a wild goose.



This is the 'Diderot Effect' I would like to address in this blog. By definition, it is the introduction of a new possession into a consumer's existence which will often result in a process of spiraling consumption. The purchase of one new item often leads to the purchase of another. We buy a new top and immediately begin looking for new shoes to match. Do I need that new top? No. Do I have shoes to go with my new purchase? Not really. Does it justify my expenses on a new pair of shoes just because I bought mindlessly this new top (an unplanned purchase) which I thought was something I needed at the spur of the moment? 



There is always something newer and prettier in the market but how are we supposed to catch up with the Joneses when everything comes and goes in the blink of an eye? There will never be a level where you will be done wanting things. What is on sale that catches your eyes could more often than not cost you more in the end than originally assumed. My new top is not going to make me a super star and I have enough tops in my wardrobe to create outfits that wows. I remember resisting the urge to buy a die-cut machine a while back, even though it was a good idea at the time when I poured my all into making beautiful craft and the machine seemed to be a necessity. I was aware of the fact that the items which I would be tempted to buy as a result of purchasing the machine would cost me a fortune. I never looked back and yet I created beautiful artwork without resorting to the help of that machine. 



There are many ways to master the Diderot Effect. First off, I don't subscribe to commercial emails / catalogues. I don't visit the malls unless I absolutely need something (which is rare) and I refuse to log on to shopping websites which are usually the culprit of unnecessary purchases. As I learnt from my mistakes, I will only consider buying items that fit my current system and I set myself limits to only consume at a level I can comfortably afford.I find myself more resourceful when I restrict myself not buying anything new. Let go of wanting things is easier said than done but nevertheless one of the best means to overcome the consumption tendency. 


In Diderot's words, "Poverty has its freedoms; opulence has its obstacles."







No comments:

Post a Comment